You are here: Home
> Research & Literature
> Drugs & Alcohol
Drug & Alcohol Misuse
National Drugs Strategy
- National Drugs Strategy Overview available at: http://www.pobail.ie/en/NationalDrugsStrategy/NationalDrugsStrategyOverview/
- Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. 2001. National Drugs Strategy 2001-2008. Dublin: Stationery Office.
http://www.pobail.ie/en/NationalDrugsStrategy/NationalDrugsStrategyOverview/file,2229,en.pdf (PDF, 866 KB)
- Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. 2004. National Drugs Strategy 2001-2008: Critical Implementation Path. Dublin: Stationery Office.
http://www.pobail.ie/en/NationalDrugsStrategy/NationalDrugsStrategy2001-2008-CriticalImplementionPath/file,4375,en.pdf (PDF, 432 KB)
- Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. 2004. National Drugs Strategy Progress Report 2001-2004. Dublin: Stationery Office.
http://www.pobail.ie/en/NationalDrugsStrategy/NationalDrugsStrategyProgressReport2001-2004/file,5826,en.pdf (PDF, 539 KB)
- Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. 2005. Mid-term Review of the National Drugs Strategy 2001-2008: Report of the Steering Group 2005. Dublin: Stationery Office.
http://www.pobail.ie/en/NationalDrugsStrategy/ReportoftheSteeringGroupontheMid-termReviewoftheNationalDrugsStrategy2001-2008/file,6303,en.pdf (PDF, 878 KB)
- Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. 2005. Report of the Working Group on Drugs Rehabilitation May 2007. Dublin: Stationery Office.
http://www.pobail.ie/en/NationalDrugsStrategy/ReportoftheWorkingGrouponDrugsRehabilitation/file,8392,en.pdf (PDF, 2.44 MB)
Health Research Board (HRB)
- Keane, M. (2007) Social reintegration as a response to drug use in Ireland. Overview 5. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/sr_Overview5.pdf (PDF, 754 KB)
- Connolly, J. (2006) Drugs and crime in Ireland. Overview 3. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Drugs_and_crime_in_Ireland-Overview_3.pdf (PDF, 596 KB)
- Connolly, J. (2005) The illicit drug market in Ireland. Overview 2. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Overview2.pdf (PDF, 423 KB)
- Fanagan, S. Reynolds, S. Mongan, D. and Long, J. (2008). Trends in Treated Problem Alcohol Use in Ireland, 2004 to 2006. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/HRB_Trend_Series_1.pdf (PDF, 400 KB)
- Moran, R., O ’Brien, M., Dillon, L. & Farrell, E., with Mayock, P. (2001) Overview of Drug Issues in Ireland 2000: A Resource Document. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Overview%20Drug%20Issues%202000.pdf (PDF, 537 KB)
- Moran, R., Dillon, L., O ’Brien, M., Mayock, P., & Farrell, E. with Pike, B. (2001) A Collection of Papers on Drug Issues in Ireland. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Collection%20Papers%20Drug%20Issues%202001.pdF (PDF, 429 KB)
- Dillon, L. (2001) Drug Use Among Prisoners: An Exploratory Study. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Drug%20Use%20Among%20Prisoners%20Report.pdf (PDF, 715 KB)
- Bryan, A., Moran, R., Farrell, E., O'Brien, M. (2000) Drug-related Knowledge, Attitudes and Beliefs in Ireland: Report of a Nation-wide Survey. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/KABREPORT.pdf (PDF, 590 KB)
- O ’Brien, A., Moran, R., O’Brien M. (2000) Annotated Bibliography of Drug Misuse in Ireland. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Annotated%20Biblio.pdf (PDF, 519 KB)
- Gemmell, C., Moran, R., Crowley, J., & Courtney, R. (1999) An Inventory Of Literature On The Relation Between Drug Use, Impaired Driving, And Traffic Accidents. European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction & Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/Drug%20use%20and%20Impaired%20driving1999.pdf (PDF, 670 KB)
- Mongan, D., Reynolds, S., Fanagan, S., Long, J. (2007) Overview: Health-related Consequences of Problem Alcohol Use. Dublin: Health Research Board.
http://www.hrb.ie/storage/publications/hrbpublications/drugmisuse/pau_Overview6.pdf (PDF, 1.45 MB)
Drugnet Ireland is the newsletter of the HRB Alcohol and Drug Research Unit. Back Issues are available online at:
National Advisory Committee on Drugs (NACD)
- The National Advisory Committee on Drugs (NACD) http://www.nacd.ie was established in order to conduct, commission and analyse research on issues relating to drug use in Ireland. A full list of NACD publications is available at: http://www.nacd.ie/publications/index.html
A selection of National Advisory Committee on Drugs Publications are cited below:
- Fountain, J. (2006) An Overview of the Nature and Extent of Illicit Drug Use Amongst the Traveller Community: An Exploratory Study. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/NACDTravellerReportFinal.pdf (PDF, 696 KB)
- National Advisory Committee on Drugs (NACD) and National Drugs Strategy Team (NDST). (2007) An Overview of Cocaine Use in Ireland II. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/Overview_Cocaine_Use_2.pdf (PDF, 959KB)
- Lawless, M. (2005) Drug Use Among the Homeless Population in Ireland. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/Homelessness%20Report.pdf (PDF, 1589KB)
- Loughran, H. & McCann, M. (2006) A Community Drugs Study: Developing Community Indicators for Problem Drug Use. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/CommunityStudyReport.pdf (PDF, 1.55MB)
- Morgan, M. (2001) Drug Use Prevention: An Overview of Research. National Advisory Committee on Drugs
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/overview.pdf (PDF, 575 KB)
- National Advisory Committee on Drugs (2003) Approaches to Estimating Drug Prevalence in Ireland: An Overview of Methods and Data Sources. Dublin: The Stationery Office.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/Est_Drug_Prev.pdf (PDF, 187KB)
- National Advisory Committee on Drugs. (2003-) Ongoing analysis of the General Population Survey of Drug Use in Ireland and Northern Ireland 2002/2003 (Drug Prevalence Survey). Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
- Duggan, C. (2007) The Experiences of Families Seeking Support in Coping with Heroin Use. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/FamilyStudyFinal.pdf (PDF, 0.9 MB)
- Kelly, A. (2004) Prevalence of Opiate Use in Ireland 2000-2001. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/Opiate_Use.pdf (PDF, 239 KB)
- Watters, N. & Byrne, D. (2004) The Role of Family Support Service in Drug Prevention. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/34482FamilySupport.pdf (PDF, 479 KB)
- National Advisory Committee on Drugs. (2007) Drug Trend Monitor System Pilot Summary Report. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/DTMSReport_Final.pdf (PDF, 966 KB)
- Comiskey, C. & Cox, G. (2006-) Treatment Outcome Longitudinal Study. ROSIE- (Research Outcome Study in Ireland Evaluating drug treatment effectiveness). Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
- MacGabhann, L. Scheele, A. & Dunne, T. et al. (2004) Mental Health and Addiction Services and the Management of Dual Diagnosis in Ireland. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
http://www.nacd.ie/publications/Dual_Diagnosis.pdf (PDF, 444 KB)
- Loughran, H. & Mc Cann, M.E. (2006) Ballymun, Bray and Crumlin Community Case Studies. Dublin: National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
- Bennett, T. (2000) Drugs and Crime: The Results of the Second Developmental Stage of the New-Adam Programme. London: Home Office.
- Bennett, T. & Hollloway, K. (2005) Understanding Drugs, Alcohol and Crime. Buckinghman: Open University Press
- Bromley, R.D. & Nelson, A.L. (2002) "Alcohol-Related Crime and Disorder Across Urban Space and Time: Evidence from a British City", Geoforum, 33, 239-254
- Butler, S. (2002) Alcohol, Drugs and Health Promotion in Modern Ireland. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration
- Charleton, P. (1995) "Drugs and Crime - Making the Connection: A Discussion Paper", Irish Criminal Law Journal 5/2, 220
- Clinebell, H. (1998) Understanding and Counselling Persons with Alcohol, Drug & Behavioural Addictions. Abingdon: Abingdon Press
- Commission on Liquor Licensing (2002) Report on Admission and Service in Licensed Premises. Dublin: The Stationery Office
- Community Outreach Drugs Awareness Project (1999) Drugs Unplugged: Facing the Reality of Drug Abuse in Cork City. Cork: Community Outreach Drugs Awareness Project
- Connolly, J. (2002) Community Policing and Drugs in Dublin: The North Inner City Community Policing Forum. Dublin: North Inner City Drugs Task Force
- Connolly, J. (2003) Drugs, Crime and Community in Dublin: Monitoring Quality of Life in the North Inner City. Dublin: North Inner City Drugs Task Force
- Corman, H. & Morcan, H.N. (2000) "A Time-Series Analysis of Crime, Deterrance and Drug Abuse in New York City". American Economic Review, 90(3), June, 584-604.
- Corrigan, D. (1994) Facts About Drug Abuse in Ireland. Dublin: Health Promotion Unit, Department of Health and Children
- Cox, G. & Lawless, M., (2000) Making Contact: Evaluation of a Syringe Exchange Programme. Dublin: Merchant's Quay Project
- Department of Health and Children (2002) Strategic Task Force on Alcohol Interim Report. Dublin: Department of Health and Children
- Emmelkamp, P. M. G. & Vedell, E. (2006) Evidence-Based Treatments for Alcohol and Drug Abuse: A Practitioners Guide to Theory, Methods & Practice. Abingdon: Routledge
- European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (2003) The State of the Drugs Problem in the European Union and Norway. Lisbon: European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction
- Eurostat. (2007) Comparison: General Trends in Drug Trafficking. Eurostat -
The Statistical Office of the European Communities.
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/PGP_DS_CRIME/PGE_DS_CRIME/TAB67748480/DRUG_TRAFF.PDF (PDF, 200 KB)
- Flanagan, E., Bedford, D., O'Farrell, A. & Howell, F. (2003) Smoking, Alcohol and Drug Use Among Young People. Meath: North Eastern Health Board
- Furnham, A. (2003) Binge Drinking: Causes, Consequences and Cures. University College London
- Keogh, E. (1997) Illicit Drug Use and Related Criminal Activity in the Dublin Metropolitan Area. Dublin: An Garda Síochána
- Hope, A., Gill, A., Costello, G., Sheehan, J., Brazil, E. & Reid, V. (2005) Alcohol and Injuries in the Accident and Emergency Department: A National Perspective. Health Promotion Unit, Department of Health and Children
- Isis Research Group (1999) Towards a Drugs Service Development Plan for Bray. Dublin: Bray Drugs Working Group
- Jackson, T. M. R. (1997) Smoking, Alcohol and Drug use in Cork and Kerry. Cork: Southern Health Board.
- Kilcommins, S. & O'Donnell, I. (2003) Alcohol, Society and Law. Chichester: Barry Rose Law Publishers
- Morgan, M. (2001) Drug Use Prevention: An Overview of Research. Dublin: The Stationery Office
- Mannix, M. (2005) Drug and Alcohol Detoxification Services: A Needs Assessment for Cork and Kerry 2005. Health Service Executive
- National Medicines Information Centre (2002) Report to the National Advisory Committee on Drugs on 'Use of Buprenorphine as an Intervention in the Treatment of Opiate Dependence Syndrome'. Dublin: The Stationery Office.
- O’ Mahony, P. (2004) "Drugs, Crime and Punishment: An Overview of the Irish Evidence", Administration, 3
- Ramsay, M. (1996) The Relationship Between Alcohol and Crime. Home Office Research and Statistics Directorate
- Ramstedt, M. & Hope, A. (2003) The Irish Drinking Culture: Drinking and Drinking-Related Harm, a European Comparison. Dublin: Department of Health and Children.
- Rutter, M., Farrington, D. P., Shephard, J.P. Klingemann, H. K. H., Adlaf, E. & Giesbraecht, N. (1996) "Commentaries on "Alcohol misuse and Juvenile Offending in Adolescence" Addictions, 91, 495 - 510
- Sarma, K. Walker, M. & Ryan, W. (2002) Cigarette, alcohol and drug use amongst second level students in Waterford/Kilkenny and Kerry Garda Divisions. Templemore: Garda Research Unit
- Shepherd, J.P. & Brickley, M. R. (1996) "The Relationship between Alcohol Intoxication, Stressors and Injury in Urban Violence" British Journal of Criminology, 36, 546-572
- Transform Drug Policy Foundation. (2004) After the War on Drugs: Options for Control. London: Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.
http://www.esmeefairbairn.org.uk/docs/TransformReport.pdf (PDF, 1.06 MB)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. (2007) World Drug Report 2007 . Vienna: UNODC.
http://www.unodc.org/pdf/research/wdr07/WDR_2007.pdf (PDF, 7.45 MB)
- Young, J. (1982) "The Drug-Takers" in Cohen, S., ed., Images of Deviance. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
Back to Top