Cosc, the National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based Violence, was established in June 2007. For the first time there is now a dedicated, resourced office at Government level with the key responsibility to ensure the delivery of a well co-ordinated "whole of Government" response to domestic, sexual and gender-based violence. The remit of the office covers:
- domestic and sexual violence against women,
- domestic and sexual violence against men, and
- elder abuse.
The State and non-governmental structures already in place to deal with violence against women continue to be strongly supported by the new office. Cosc will also collaborate closely with the service providers who support victims and treat perpetrators.
Cosc’s focus on domestic, sexual and gender-based violence includes the following tasks:
- Working with organisations in the sector to ensure the delivery of a well co-ordinated service to support victims.
- Developing and delivering awareness-raising strategies to ensure that victims are aware of the availability of services in their locality and that society is made aware of the extent and impact of behaviours and crimes concerned.
- Developing strategies in line with best international practice.
- Further developing standards for service delivery and for training programmes.
- Putting in place strategically based positive actions which work with perpetrators of domestic violence.
- Providing leadership and support to the National Steering Committee on Violence Against Women (NSC).
- Continuing to implement the recommendations of the 1997 Task Force on Violence against Women.
- Considering, and where relevant facilitating, the implementation of internationally established best practice throughout the sector.
- Working with the National Crime Council and external bodies as appropriate to establish a body of research to inform future policy directions.
- Representing Ireland at international fora.
Cosc will also be expected to propose legislative and policy change.
For further information Cosc can be contacted at:
Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
Telephone: 01-476 8680
Fax: 01-476 8619
Back to Top